George Lucas sells EVERYTHING to Disney!!

The NJO's first port of call. The place to come and chill out, no set topics just friendly banter and chat ... randomage is always welcome here :-)

Moderator: Jedi Council Member

Re: George Lucas sells EVERYTHING to Disney!!

Postby old-fool » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:31 pm

Having seen a recent photo of CF, I hope they don't try to fit her into the bikini...

Reminds me of what recently happened with Dallas. I was always a Dallas fan, and seeing JR on screen, evil as ever, was worth all the other nonsense. The problem was, all the younger actors were hired for their looks, (not complaining where the female leads are concerned, not at all) rather than acting ability. This meant that they were totally one dimensional, and you didn't care if they stayed or went, (apart of course from the aforementioned ladies). But seeing Larry Hagman now, like a dinosaur fighting extinction, was also a bit sad. I'm just hoping that I don't feel the same about the famous trio in any new SW film.
old-fool
Jedi Guardian

Postby Buzz Bumble » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:57 am

Reportedly Disney are planning to release two / three Star Wars spin-off movies EVERY YEAR!

Disney planning 2 or 3 Star Wars films a YEAR!?
Sweet merciful Zeus! We were excited (if not a little nervous) that Star Wars Episode VII would be out come 2015, but now that's the least that's happening. Turns out Disney plans on making a lot more Star Wars pictures. A LOT MORE.

So the Disney buyout happened, and Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy announced that we would be getting a new episode in the Star Wars saga every two years or so. That makes sense. After all, it takes time to put together an epic or, at least, it should.

But hang onto your hats, kids, because that's just the main stuff. Apparently, according to the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly, Kennedy and Disney plan to put out two to three Star Wars-related movies EVERY YEAR!

Now, that doesn't mean we'll see Episodes VII, VII and IX all in 2015. In fact, we'd stake our reputations that we most certainly won't. It will, however, likely mean we will see Lucasfilm take a page from Marvel. After all, look at all the individual films that led up to the insanely successful Avengers. So what we're probably looking at is a series of films telling the stories of specific characters, all in an effort to enrich the existing universe.

Well, that and to make more money, of course. After all, more movies means more movie tickets and, most of all, more toys. Not gonna lie, we're PUMPED.

It could be time to get out now before Disney flushes the whole franchise down the toilet in the greedy chase for a quick buck. :(
Buzz Bumble
Jedi Padawan

Postby old-fool » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:17 am

I disagree. I like SW, have been a fan since I saw it on holiday in 1977. I played with the toys when I was younger and have collected various items ever since. There are certain SW characters, even films, I'm not that keen on, so I avoid them. I've never seen any of the Ewok films, vaguely recall the Droids cartoon series, can't stand Jar Jar Binks and am not at all keen on Phantom Menace.

In the same way, I like Star Trek, but didn't like Enterprise. Doesn't stop me from enjoying other parts of the franchise. The problem everyone has is comfort. We are all comfortable with GL, but lets face it, episodes 1-3 didn't set the world alight. There were very good parts, but they were deeply flawed. Even ROTJ has it's flaws. The last great SW film was released thirty two years ago, but we're all still followers.

Disney is an unknown, but they did not pay £2.5 billion to sink the ship. They aren't that stupid or they wouldn't be able to buy a SW figure, let alone the company. I'm in the wait and see category, which I'd say is good advice in anything. Will they release related films, probably. Will some be worse than others, yes. But could some be excellent, again, yes. Look at the Avengers, often cited. Iron Man is brilliant, the Hulk movies, well, not so much. AA, which I saw for the first time tonight, is superb.

But, even if Disney do make five duff films and that's it, what will I still enjoy about SW? Exactly what I enjoy today, and if they are still making stuff about those films after all this time, I can't see companies stopping. After all, what would anyone here collect if not SW?
old-fool
Jedi Guardian

Postby Buzz Bumble » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:46 am

ComingSoon.net has five Flash video clips with George Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy's discussion about the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney and the "Star Wars" franchise. Being on a dial-up connection, I don't know what's in the videos, so there may not be anything new.
Buzz Bumble
Jedi Padawan

Previous

Return to The Cantina