George Lucas sells EVERYTHING to Disney!!

The NJO's first port of call. The place to come and chill out, no set topics just friendly banter and chat ... randomage is always welcome here :-)

Moderator: Jedi Council Member

George Lucas sells EVERYTHING to Disney!!

Postby Buzz Bumble » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:56 am

NNNNnnnnooooo.......!!!!! :cry:

It's being reported all over the place that "Star Wars" creator George Lucas has sold everything to Disney - all of his various companies (LucasFilm, ILM, Skywalker Sound, LucasArts, etc.) and the entire Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.

Lucas Sells Out
It's a sad, sad day for the Rebel Alliance. The Rebel Leader has been captured and all of its main bases taken over by the evil Studio Empire.

Mouse Troopers are leading away Princess... err, Prince Lucas to the cells deep within the Hollywood Death Star. Who will rescue him (and us) from the evil Studio Empire, saving the Rebel Alliance and the galaxy?

Lucas Skywalker is clinging desperately to the edge of a Cloud City walkway. Donald Vader extends a hand saying, "Join me, and together we'll rule Hollywood." Lucas Skywalker cries out in anguish, "Never! I'll never join you ... wait, did you say billion?!"

Maybe the world IS ending in December 2012. Growing ozone hole, Microsoft bails out Apple, Steve Jobs dies, shrinking polar ice caps, meltdown of the greedy financial world, George Lucas sells out Star Wars - all signs of the impending apocalypse? :(

I can only guess that George Lucas was disappointed by the rather lacklustre reception to the (frankly pointless and hopeless) 3D-erised release of Episode I.

It remains to be seen what this means for the Clone Wars animated TV show, the planned live-action TV show, the fifth Indiana Jones movies, and everything else ... but the over-egoed, money-grubbers are already planning a rushed, ill-fitting "Episode 7" movie (over-seen by Lucas) to be released in 2015, and then "Episode 8" and "Episode 9" at two-year intervals after that. Another great franchise destroyed by Hollyweird. :(
Buzz Bumble
Jedi Padawan

Re: George Lucas sells EVERYTHING to Disney!!

Postby samsw » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:13 am

fingers crossed they'll get rid of the godawful CW!!!

But tad worried about Disney being all 'cuddly characters' does this mean that Jar Jar will be seen even more??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyqlTi7lkhY

welcome to the NJO btw :D
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
Albert Einstein

samsw
Jedi Master

Postby x-wing_flyboy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:45 pm

I really want to know what is going to happen to the archives? The props, ships and models? Are they staying at Skywalker Ranch.
ImageImageImage
x-wing_flyboy
Jedi Master

Postby Buzz Bumble » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:48 pm

I haven't read anywhere whether or not Skywalker Ranch was included in the sale, but it's likely that it was since it's a workplace of LucasFilm and other companies. Since Disney now fully owns Star Wars (and everything else), they will also own all that archive.

I'm still can't see any sensible way they can do a third trilogy. There's no baddie, so tha means inventing a new one and concocting some half-baked backstory to explain why they never appeared in any of the previous ones. Seems like an ill-fitting part that will make a mess of the Saga's compete storyline of Anakin Skywalker. Seems like just a greedy cahsing-in exercise. :(

More spin-off movies = Yes (if done properly and fitting within the established universe)
More "Episode" movie = NO!
Buzz Bumble
Jedi Padawan

Postby Buzz Bumble » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:55 am

Harrison Ford has now given his thoughts on new movies on the Entertainment Weekly website. He's reportedly "open to the idea" of returning as Han Solo, but is waiting to see the script, director, etc.

Plus, Mickey may not be finished with his Christmas shopping yet. The latest rumour is that Disney is interested in buy Hasbro, which could explain their comments about making the merchandise more internationally focused. MTV Geek reports rumor that Disney is in talks to acquire Hasbro

There were rumours not long ago that Apple was interested in buying Disney, which wouldn't have been that surprising since Steve Jobs, after his return to Apple, was quoted as wanting Apple to be more like Sony. Apple do also have a massive amount of money sitting in their bank accounts.
Buzz Bumble
Jedi Padawan

Postby x-wing_flyboy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:37 pm

Not got time to have a look at the links Buzz, but I will do later, thanks for the update.

Just a quick point, I'm really surprised that Ford is willing to even consider playing Han again, I thought he had cast it away with his other best character achievements such as Indy and Deckard. tell you what though, I would be really surprised if he showed interest in a Blade Runner sequel, that would leave me speechless.
ImageImageImage
x-wing_flyboy
Jedi Master

Postby Buzz Bumble » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:29 am

There's a paragraph in the Entertainment Weekly link where Harrision Ford has said that Han Solo simply doesn't really interest him as a character (whereas Indy, Decker, etc. do), but I'm not sure how long ago he said that ... maybe like George Lucas, he's changed his mind.

So far Disney have said they have no plans for any of the other franchise, so it loks like Indiana Jones 5 is back on the "wait and see" list (last I read Geroge Lucas had the story idea and was writing it, then Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford would take a look).
Buzz Bumble
Jedi Padawan

Postby x-wing_flyboy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:03 am

Well yes it's possible he changed his mind mate, why not..and if the money is good, he will snap it up. Hopes for anther Indy are not high for me, I thought the last one was awfully bad, even some of the special effects where not up to standard.

As for a Blade runner sequel, there is one on the pipe line after the rights were sold off, would like to see him come back in that.
ImageImageImage
x-wing_flyboy
Jedi Master

Postby Buzz Bumble » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:30 am

Looks like the new movie has a writer and they plan to give the big name directors the first option.

Star Wars Episode VII may have found its writer

From the link:
Sources also tell Vulture that the studio's brass want to bring back the three central characters of the original Star Wars: a much older Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, and Han Solo. No deals are in place with any of the original actors, though our source did say it had high ambitions to sign up Mark Hamill, and EW recently reported that Harrison Ford was open to the idea of returning. We're told that Arndt's 40-something page treatment will soon be crossing the desks of top directors, including Brad Bird, Steven Spielberg (the former producing partner of Lucasfilm co-chair Kathleen Kennedy), and J.J. Abrams. Whether they'd be interested is unknown (Star Wars is a lot of baggage for an established director), but Disney wants to make sure they've at least tried the biggest names.

Nnnnnooooooo!!! ... not J.J. Abrams. Even Zippy from Rainbow would be better. :(
Buzz Bumble
Jedi Padawan

Postby x-wing_flyboy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Make it Bungle, we may get a good story centred around Wookies this time round.

I bet Mark Hamill would be up for it..I think he was one of the only actors who liked the whole OT in the first place. Yes I would love to see him come back as he was always my favourite character, plus, he was way more more involved with the OT off screen than the Ford and Fisher.

Fisher?? Yes I think so too, she would probably hate it like she did the others but she'd do it for the money pure and simple.
ImageImageImage
x-wing_flyboy
Jedi Master

Next

Return to The Cantina