New Animated ‘Star Wars’ Series Aimed At Toddlers

The NJO's first port of call. The place to come and chill out, no set topics just friendly banter and chat ... randomage is always welcome here :-)

Moderator: Jedi Council Member

New Animated ‘Star Wars’ Series Aimed At Toddlers

Postby OJM » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:39 pm

IESB has broken the news that there will be a new animated “Star Wars” series based on the Star Wars: Galactic Heroes line of toys by Hasbro. This new series — if we’re to believe the article, it’ll be called “Squishies”, which seems unlikely — is meant for the preschool/kindergarten crowd, which makes sense, given the line of toys.

Though rumors have swirled about the production of a live-action series, neither that nor any information of a release date for this new animated series have been announced.

I remember the day my preschooler came home talking about Darth Vader. This surprised me because we hadn’t exposed him to any “Star Wars” material, deeming it a little too violent for a four year old to consume. Of course, his preschool friends had seen the movies, and would role play them. At some point, we realized that certain things are out of our control, and that we have to simply let them be. We could, however, keep “Star Wars” out of our own home.

This latest news, though, just seems like a money-hungry grab. Whether or not characters are actually shown getting shot or cut, the “Star Wars” universe features a lot of combat. Kids mimic what they see, and it seems unnecessary to give young kids a show about fighting. Though I will say it’s a fine opportunity for parents to discuss the nature of violence, both in real life and as it’s depicted in the media. All actions have consequences, and this should be stressed to our children, who may think otherwise, watching the tidy way events tend to just clean up on television. So, thanks, George Lucas, for your inadvertent help with this. Let’s hope your new show includes a little moral education as well.

http://www.kidglue.com/2010/03/19/new-a ... -toddlers/
OJM
Jedi Master

Re: New Animated ‘Star Wars’ Series Aimed At Toddlers

Postby x-wing_flyboy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:33 pm

I love star wars as much as the next man, but this animated kiddy side is just getting so far removed from what the majority of fans of our age want to collect, and lets face it, it's people of our age who buy all this stuff, reall kids go mad on something for a few months, then the new craze comes long and kills off the old one.

Lucas, knock it on the head with animated crump and start doing it good again.

How about a movie standard CGI clone story, using the models from Sith or AOTC?
ImageImageImage
x-wing_flyboy
Jedi Master

Postby jedicub_2005 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:39 am

Lets see an expanded universe Star Wars film, a one off aimed at an entirely adult audience, lets see the Vong in action, just for the fun of it. :D
jedicub_2005
Jedi Master

Postby bigbaddaddyvader » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:11 pm

You know I am sick of grown adults complaining about galactic heroes.They are for toddlers-my youngest son wanted the snowspeeder and x-wing galactic heroes for christmas and loves them.They are not meant for adults so get over it.You want a new generation of kids to love SW then this is their door.What does it matter if grown adults dont want to collect them?These are TOYS and made to be PLAYED with not just left on a shelf.
God almighty I hate adults complaining about these.Unless you've got kids how does this affect you?
ORIGINAL STAR WARS PROPS
http://WWW.BIGBADDADDYVADER.COM
bigbaddaddyvader
Jedi

Postby OJM » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:51 pm

...Once again BBDV I agree with....TOYS for kids are meant to be played with.

Getting another generation INFUSED into the SW saga will only extend it's influence that we have already experienced.

(However Mr.Lucas does it! ...Be greatfull that its can be done..may the Force live long & prosper! LMAO :lol:
OJM
Jedi Master

Postby x-wing_flyboy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:41 pm

I don't have any problem with items being made for the little ones....not that I mentioned the Galactic Hero figures but I actually happen to quite like them as I have a few Clones and Luke's and a 3P0 in my collection.

What I don't want to see is SW merch going TOTALLY child orientated. Is It wrong to want to see some more adult content in future Star Wars movies / CGI / TV shows? Why shouldn't SW appeal to Father and Son at the same time?

As for toys being made to play with, of course they are. But then what's wrong with my collecting them and wanting to keeping them in good condition? Or keeping them on card because I like to keep them mint?

I quite like my figures, Clone army and Sideshows displayed up on my various shelves. I get real enjoyment from creating displays and having them commented on by friends and family. I may not have children of my own but I have 5 nieces and nephews who are as close to mine as possible and all have some interest in SW. My oldest nephew really got into SW from seeing my collection, many of his figures came from me, and if he wants to continue to be interested in SW then he has my support if he wants any more. He quite likes the Clone Wars cartoons and the new animated series. If it works for him then so be it. I just don't like them myself.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion, and that is mine. I don't want t see SW going totally child orientated. Period.
ImageImageImage
x-wing_flyboy
Jedi Master

Postby jedicub_2005 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:01 pm

I personally see nothing wrong with Galactic heroes, plush toys, Star Wars Mr potato head, Clone Wars play doe or any of the other children's Star Wars toys, I see nothing wrong with the Clone Wars TV series, in fact I really like it and think that it is a positive thing and it will be introducing a whole new generation to the wonder of Star Wars, I wish it had been out when I was a child, the closest I thing that I got to watch was the ewoks cartoon, star wars has always been a family film and has always been out there for children to watch, so another star wars cartoon project for younger children could work out just fine, or really bad but at the end of the day it wont affect me directly as I wont be the one watching it, it could be great for wee Iona though, I am all for a star wars cartoon for kids, anything to replace half of the children's TV that is on during the day, mind numbing garbage. :roll:
I would still love to see what an 18 certificate Star Wars film could turn out like though, it would obviously be a lot different to what we are used to seeing but imagine the special effects alone, what they could do with some of the lightsaber battles and monsters on other planets, it will never happen I realise that but some times when I hear people say about how return of the jedi might have been if Irvin Kershner had worked on it, I try to imagine how it might have been if he had worked on it and it had been granted a 15 or 18 certificate, throw in some more special effects and there you have it, the dark side would come across as so very very dark.
jedicub_2005
Jedi Master

Postby bigbaddaddyvader » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:51 am

My comment was specifically about the galactic heroes line and adults bitching about them and was fuelled by this outrageous,basement-dwelling troll of an idiot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVAy4J6Fy6w
That's the kind of thing I mean.People taking collecting toys,which whether collectors like it or not are made for children,waaayyyyyyyyy too seriously and forgetting just what it is they collect and how they began collecting them which in 99% of cases was by playing with them as children.See the dichotomy and knee-deep irony there?
ORIGINAL STAR WARS PROPS
http://WWW.BIGBADDADDYVADER.COM
bigbaddaddyvader
Jedi

Postby x-wing_flyboy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:34 pm

MIke Mozart.......What an ear obsessed numpty....what's wrong with Luke Bespin Galactic Hero? And Maul

Gots to admit man that's taking it a little to far.
ImageImageImage
x-wing_flyboy
Jedi Master

Postby RebelGem » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:55 pm

Great news about the series, it's really got you peeps fired up as well. My very own Jawa has loved Star Wars since she could talk and probably knew the script when she was still cooking.

The article makes me wonder if perhaps she has had bad exposure to "fighting" from an early age. On the other hand, I can't see her borrowing my lightsaber, chopping someone in half and expecting there to be no consequences or for that action to be considered right, so I think we're safe. I believe the SW universe has helped a little in formulating her personal sense of right and wrong, good and bad, justice, bravery, friendship etc.

Can't wait for the show to be on, love the Galactic heroes anyway but it will be nice for something targeted specially for the wee ones. I just hope the older generations leave it alone and appreciate it for what it is, no ones going to make them watch it, lol.
RebelGem
Jedi Master

Next

Return to The Cantina