Flat Screen TV/Monitor - WOW!

The NJO's first port of call. The place to come and chill out, no set topics just friendly banter and chat ... randomage is always welcome here :-)

Moderator: Jedi Council Member

Flat Screen TV/Monitor - WOW!

Postby OJM » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:44 pm

For many a year i've had a tiny 15" flatscreen monitor that i've surfed many a late night on the NJO,
Designed Logo's on, Viewed photo's and played P.C. & XBOX games on.

It worked fine for the job, but there was something missing...SIZE!

Ok..PC monitor aside, I passed on my XBOX in favour of my very capable PS3.....HOWEVER
We only had two TV's in the house, We have a third hand 32" Sony that Darth Tina & myself watches & a
14" CRT TV that Landspeeder Lucy has in her room.
Now, As you might or might not know the PS3 needs either an HDMI input or the RED/YELLOW/WHITE external input plugs of which can be used on both of the TV's.

Right, As any bloke on here can tell you the women in the household have first dibs on what is watched
on the TV. OK i can live with that, However when playing "Video Games" (that sounds so outdated!) I had
to play with time restrictions according to what THEY wanted to watch! :evil:

Well to cut a short story shorter, I got so frustrated about the little time i had i made a decision..I'll buy my
own TV/Monitor.

WOW...What an excellent choice i made. I purchased an LG 22" 1080p TV/Monitor for £184.00

My Internet pages are so HUGE i can actually see what i'm typing! :lol:

The Freeview TV reception is average...BUT

The PS3 quality is beyond exceptional...ITS FETTING AWESOME! 8-)

OK..So the games on it look just great..I've waited so long to see them in such detail.
But to really test what a Hi-Def TV and a Blu-Ray player is real capable of i put on my favorite movies.

Now before i give the results on this i'll just say that NONE of the DVD's i played are Blu-Ray, The PS3 "Upscales"
(Whatever that means!? :? ) normal DVD images to the best that they can be.

Some of the DVD's were as there were when released and some were Re-Mastered or filmed digitally.
The following results were as follows:

SW "Revenge Of The Sith", SW "A New Hope", AVP & "Saving Private Ryan - 10/10 Quality exceptional, Very Clear and a pleasure to watch, Highly recommended.

"The Abyss", "Aliens", "The Final Countdown" - 3/10 Hi-Def & Blu-Ray show up the flaws of non re-mastered films, Very dissapointed with the result, Hope these movies get some "Hi-Def" treatment soon!

So I've spent way too long playing games and watching movies, I've still got to experience a Blu-Ray movie how it should be viewed.

Has anyone else experienced the "Hi-Def" experience?
OJM
Jedi Master

Re: Flat Screen TV/Monitor - WOW!

Postby jedicub_2005 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:52 pm

Sorry I cant input anything Guy, I dont have a blue ray player or sky to watch Hi-Def.
jedicub_2005
Jedi Master

Postby ttsa » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:23 pm

yep, blue-ray all the way, as well as HD TV, it truly is a differentt world, so many details on film on blue ray, all the tiny details jump to life, i thought it would be another betamax/VHS thing, but blue ray is the way forward.
ttsa
Jedi

Postby Sith Master Maul » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:45 pm

like you guy i use/watch a lot of telly so this years sales seen me buy my biggest purchase in years ,a 50 inch plasma on 1080i def my digi box also "upscales" to 1080p and believe me WHAT A FETTIN DIFFERENCE ,going from a 32 inch lcd to the 50 plasma in incredible
[color=#4040FF]"FINALLY WE WILL HAVE OUR REVENGE [/color]
Sith Master Maul
Jedi Guardian

Postby Ikonsekh » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:38 pm

the only impact HD has had on me is how much of it gets stolen.

occupational hazzard
Let's blow this thing and go home - Han Solo
Ikonsekh
Jedi Padawan

Postby x-wing_flyboy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:12 pm

Sith Master Maul wrote:like you guy i use/watch a lot of telly so this years sales seen me buy my biggest purchase in years ,a 50 inch plasma on 1080i def my digi box also "upscales" to 1080p and believe me WHAT A FETTIN DIFFERENCE ,going from a 32 inch lcd to the 50 plasma in incredible

You lucky fetter Gordy, bet it rocks don't it? I watched a segment of Empire on a 50inch Plasma last year in a store display, and got to say, never have I seen a picture like that in my life.
ImageImageImage
x-wing_flyboy
Jedi Master

Postby samsw » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:40 pm

Hi Def - seems to be best - if there's a lot of little bits - ie a scene where there is a star field or maybe a long shot of loads of trees or summink!

we've got Sky HD and we watch Clone wars in HD and the best pics are when there's scenes in space!

I was gonna get a Blu ray - but then noticed SW isn't out on BR - so I'll be waiting for it to be released before I part with me cash
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
Albert Einstein

samsw
Jedi Master

Postby Sith Master Maul » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:39 pm

x-wing_flyboy wrote:
Sith Master Maul wrote:like you guy i use/watch a lot of telly so this years sales seen me buy my biggest purchase in years ,a 50 inch plasma on 1080i def my digi box also "upscales" to 1080p and believe me WHAT A FETTIN DIFFERENCE ,going from a 32 inch lcd to the 50 plasma in incredible

You lucky fetter Gordy, bet it rocks don't it? I watched a segment of Empire on a 50inch Plasma last year in a store display, and got to say, never have I seen a picture like that in my life.

your right steve it does rock ,but then i live most of my life in front of my tv ,some people do golf or football i do tv lol
[color=#4040FF]"FINALLY WE WILL HAVE OUR REVENGE [/color]
Sith Master Maul
Jedi Guardian

Postby x-wing_flyboy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:35 pm

The nearest I get to that big a screen is my Mrs Sister's TV, that's a 42" but LCD, not bad but could be better.
ImageImageImage
x-wing_flyboy
Jedi Master

Return to The Cantina