[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The New Jedi Order • View topic - Books, Books Everywhere! - What do YOU do?

Books, Books Everywhere! - What do YOU do?

The NJO's first port of call. The place to come and chill out, no set topics just friendly banter and chat ... randomage is always welcome here :-)

Moderator: Jedi Council Member

Books, Books Everywhere! - What do YOU do?

Postby OJM » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:58 pm

Ok not quite a SW topic but a problem never the less.

I read books (No laughing!) Lots of them, War, Biographies, History, Fiction, Science fiction etc etc..
I've got paperbacks that i got while still at school and have not stopped reading....The problem is
"I Cannot Get Rid of them!"
I always thourght having a wall full of books is always a talking point when anyone visits the house and in
a way you have your own library that is in fact a diary of your life, Afterall they take a bit longer to read than just watching a film.
I will NOT throw them away, thats almost as bad as burning them, I dont really want to give them away because they cost at least £5 each (£12-15) for hardbacks.
Whats even more annoying is that if you look on eBay, even for £1, no one wants to buy them, an example of this is
"Ed Macy's APACHE" got for X-Mas as a pressy (£12) but surfing eBay....there is loads of them not selling..Oh well.

So I'm just going to keep them...but the pile of books (And Darth Tina is the same with her books) just keep getting bigger!!

Well rant over...BUT

When books follow the same format as Music and movies that then become digital files all my problems will be solved,
But then its always nice to have something "Physical" to touch.

I'm standing on the edge of a "Digital revoloution" but i dont want to take that final step..I like books (with pictures are even better LOL)

So...What do YOU think?

OJM

(Guy)
OJM
Jedi Master

Re: Books, Books Everywhere! - What do YOU do?

Postby Darth Evo » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:41 am

Good topic Guy. :)

Im a book fan myself but most of my stuff is Star Wars, kids story books and witchcraft pagan stuff + ghost and magic type stuff. The later is research for a book i have been trying to write for years now. Haven't done much since getting married Though.

Jo is forever trying to get me to thin the books out but i just cant seen to do it, just seems such a shame to ditch or sell them.

Ebay is defo a good source for buying books but not selling. And i agree that there is nothing like having something physical to read. :)

Darth Evo
Jedi Master

Postby jedicub_2005 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:42 pm

A good topic indeed,
I say hold on to them if you can.
In our house the other half does most of the reading, so there are quite a lot of books, mainly hers though. I do have quite a few hard backs to read but most of them are at the bottom of a rather large pile of star wars stuff, have you ever heard anyone say "we are packed to the rafters" well that is our bedroom, I have literally got boxes of stock from the floor right up to the sealing but soon when we get another book case I will look them out.
I think it is nice to have them in print, in there solid form, it is a bit like music, we can all download it for free or a low price but it is still nice to have the CD on your shelf. I am terrible when it comes to reading, I like to do it but I am not a fast reader and I tend to get half way through a book, put it down to do something and then kind of forget about it for a month. I do like audio books as I can get on with my work and still hear all of the written words.
I guess I am saying, do both, keep your books but also go with digital, digital has its advantages but you cant beat having the printed words in front of you.
jedicub_2005
Jedi Master

Postby jedi58 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:38 am

i've got more books than my room can cope with :( they're stacked up everywhere, and on my bookshelf they're stacked two rows deep too

when Amazon release the Kindle in the UK in a few months I'm seriously tempted to only get new books on that instead (except for star wars books, as I like collecting those!)
jedi58
Jedi Master

Postby Darth Evo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:53 pm

What on earth is a kindle dude. Some kind of electronic book reader?

Darth Evo
Jedi Master

Postby jedi58 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:36 pm

yup, Amazon released an ebook reader in the states called the Kindle - it's supposed to be out over here by xmas
jedi58
Jedi Master

Postby Darth Evo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:18 pm

Oh ok cool. God in starting to feel old. :lol:
Technology eh! :mrgreen:

Darth Evo
Jedi Master

Postby jedi58 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:54 pm

lol!
jedi58
Jedi Master

Postby SOLO TROOPER » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:54 pm

Forgotten realms

fantasy novels

they just keep brining new one every year and I keep buying them

lol

SOLO TROOPER
Jedi Master

Postby Darth Evo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Used to read them years ago when i was big into my roleslaying. :mrgreen:

Darth Evo
Jedi Master

Next

Return to The Cantina