[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The New Jedi Order • View topic - Memories of Episode 1 The Phantom Menace

Memories of Episode 1 The Phantom Menace

The NJO's first port of call. The place to come and chill out, no set topics just friendly banter and chat ... randomage is always welcome here :-)

Moderator: Jedi Council Member

Postby Grand Master Gray » Thu May 21, 2009 12:02 am

May 1999 saw the release of Star Wars Episode 1, The Phantom Menace!

The date that Star Wars returned to the big screen and the movie that introduced a new generation to a galaxy far, far away was released !!! A movie that was both celebrated and criticised ... but an important movie that no SW Fan could avoid. It would start the story arc that would complete the "saga" ... the saga that for many of us had begun in the seventies when our first glimpse of that galaxy was when that awesome Star Destroyer fills the screen for what seems like an eternity!

So what are everyone's thoughts ? Were you caught up in the hype prior to it's release ??? Where did you eventually see the movie ??? What did you like/dislike about TPM ??? and what about the toys and merchandise ???

And looking back now ... how important was The Phantom Menace as a movie ??? How did it influence the saga itself ??? And was it successful in creating a whole new generation of Star Wars fans ???

Your thoughts, memories, cheers (and moans) are warmly welcome (and appreciated)

Gray.

Grand Master Gray
Jedi Master

Postby ttsa » Thu May 21, 2009 1:35 pm

I left my job at Hewlett Packard about 2 weeks before the film came out, the staff had a whip around for my leaving do and along with some others bits and pieces i was given vouchers for VUE cinemas, so my tickets came for free, happy days, i took the friday off and watched it at 11.10am at Cribbs Causeway VUE and was stunned to see the cinema only half full!!

Prior to the release i had started collecting again thanks to the Sneak Preview STAP with BATTLE DROID, then TPM figures.

As for the film itself, I felt at the time and still do that The Phantom Menace is a lot better than given credit for, ok there are a few clunky, poorly crafted sequences, the puppet Yoda (soon to be replaced i keep hearing for a TPM Special Edition!!!) and overall Jar Jar was a mistake but i feel that all the Darth Maul scenes and the character himself, the pod race, and the last third of the film overcome these minor quibbles. Also casting Ewan McGregor & Liam Neeson was a master stroke.

It takes time for a film, any fim, too age and sit in its place in history, the Original Trilogy has gone through a lot of p**s taking and copycats over the years but shines through, as will the prequels, however i do feel that after directing TPM george should of handed the other 2 prequels to different directors as he did with the originals, a Peter Jackson or Guillermo Del Toro SW film would be something else!!
ttsa
Jedi

Postby Sith Master Maul » Thu May 21, 2009 3:02 pm

well my memories of TPM are quite vivid .
i won a pair of tickets in the SUN newspaper to see the premier and i took my brother in law to see it ,a decent film apart from the maul sequencies (thats what got me my name and hooked onto the maul thing ) which were amazing and exceptionally choreographed .
the single biggest memory of the film with exception to the film itself is that i was running late to see it so i had to nput my foot down a bit to get to newcastle and got grabbed by a hidden speed camera so not only did i get to see the film but about 3 weeks later i got a congratulations letter from the boys in blue who gave me 3 points on my license and £60 fine ALL FOR FREE (lol)
[color=#4040FF]"FINALLY WE WILL HAVE OUR REVENGE [/color]
Sith Master Maul
Jedi Guardian

Postby samsw » Sun May 24, 2009 7:13 pm

I remember buying quite a few of the tabloids etc - with TPM articles in them! Got a couple of TPM cereal boxes stashed at work in a cupboard - must bring 'em home sometime!

Think when we went to see it - the cinema was only half full, I can rememeber when we came out - Janette said to me "well what do ya think"? and I said, " I liked it, but it just wasn't Star Wars"! as much as I've grown to love TPM - I still think, like all the prequels, There is summink, I dunno what. thats missing! - Just recenty been watching the 'web docs' on the DVD, which makes pretty interesting viewing!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TPM!!!!!
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
Albert Einstein

samsw
Jedi Master

Postby Pink » Wed May 27, 2009 9:12 am

I remember when seeing it and who took me to see the film...

But it seems ages ago. LAST MILLENIUM..
- I was a teenage jawa -
Pink

Postby samsw » Wed May 27, 2009 2:49 pm

I think one of the best things came out of TPM (and the other prequels) is seeing kids today - with their Lightsabers etc playing in the streets :D
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
Albert Einstein

samsw
Jedi Master

Postby OJM » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:01 pm

I just spent an hour and a bit typing out my experience of EP1...

Got logged out and lost EVERYTHING!

FETT!

I'll retype it once i've calmed own...FET FETT FETT....& FETT!

FETT!
OJM
Jedi Master

Postby OJM » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:22 pm

Up until 1999 I had been waiting 16 years.....16 Fetting years for anything Star Wars!

It was back in the day (1983) that the last SW movie was released.....The Final part to the saga.

It was the end.

George Lucas had formed ILM (Industrial Light & Magic) that went on to pave the way for the advancement of CGI (Computer Generated Graphics) in movies that had audiences gripping their seats in awe at what the movie industry was capable of. Star Wars started this revoloution:

1982: First completely computer-generated sequence (the "Genesis sequence" in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)
1985: First completely computer-generated character, the "stained glass man" in Young Sherlock Holmes
1988: First morphing sequence, in Willow
1989: First computer-generated 3-D character, the pseudopod in The Abyss
1991: First partially computer-generated main character, the T-1000 in Terminator 2: Judgment Day
1992: First time the texture of human skin was computer generated, in Death Becomes Her
1993: First time digital technology used to create a complete and detailed living creature, the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, which earned ILM its thirteenth Oscar
1994: The cartoon-like effects in The Mask
1995: The first fully synthetic speaking computer-generated character, with a distinct personality and emotion, to take a leading role in Casper
1995: First computer-generated photo-realistic hair and fur (used for the digital lion and monkeys) in Jumanji
1996: First completely computer-generated main character, Draco in Dragonheart
1999: Used motion capture to create the undead form of the character, Imhotep in The Mummy.

Using what ILM had achieved George utilised the capabilties of ILM to Issue the "Star Wars Special editions"
Upon reviewing the original CELLULOID prints it was immediaely obvious that time had degraded these "Timeless" classics....For the 30th Anniversary something had to be done to save these prints from "Chemical Ageing" that normal celluloid suffers from. Enter stage left...Digital photograpghy/CGI.

What we now saw was what Mr. Lucas had originally envisioned what SW and the following movies should of had!
The Dewbacks on Tattooine, The Falcon leaving Mos-Eisley, The extra troops on the Death STAR and the "Final Battle of Yavin" were highly polished inserts that made SW the movie we have all come to love.
George did not stop there (As you all know) "Empire" & "Return" also recieved "Tweeks & inserts" that enhanced
what was technologically not available at the time.

1999 The release of "The Phantom Menace"
Love it or hate it, What the next saga gave us was a next step into what happened before what we all knew.
The introduction of "Obi Wan" & "Qui Gon" set the scene.
For me it started with the the "Pod Race"...It even had its own PC & Nintendo game!
(By the way i completed it & loved every second of racing those tracks...try it!)

Jar Jar Binks, He was just a re-invention of what R2 & 3P0 were to the previous movies...a comedy act, an easy character that the audience could roll with within the "Bigger Story".

What the Phantom Menace did to re-ignite interest was the same as pouring petrol on the fire!
Here we go again...Merchandise, DVD's, Toy's.....TOY'S! What better way to make money!

1999.... My Son Jonno had watched all the SW movies todate.
However due to "Family Separations" I did not have the time i wanted to spend with my son.
But...This was a time i was able to take him to see his first SW movie at the "Cinema"!

Father & Son were now able to do the "Star Wars experience" together!
It was a day to remember, What i experienced back in December 1977 with my Father, I was now able to do with the same in the next generation with my son.
The Phantom Menace was a landmark in SW history, It was a personal landmark in my own life.
And i have loved every minute of it....MTFBWY...Always.
OJM
OJM
Jedi Master

Postby samsw » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:07 pm

BRILLIANT ! Sis - loved reading your post mate! :D
Albert Einstein

samsw
Jedi Master

Postby OJM » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:34 pm

What was so good about the release was the excitement of all the new figures and ships.

I'm still looking out for the "Naboo Royal Cruiser"
OJM
Jedi Master

Next

Return to The Cantina