Thunderbirds Are Go! ... again!

The NJO's first port of call. The place to come and chill out, no set topics just friendly banter and chat ... randomage is always welcome here :-)

Moderator: Jedi Council Member

Thunderbirds Are Go! ... again!

Postby Buzz Bumble » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:37 am

Hopefully it's not actually a silly "reboot" (the media over-uses and incorrectly uses that term these days) with lots of idiotic changes that mean it's not really anything like the original except in-name, but is really the proper resurrected version that Gerry Anderson was working on in the last few years ...

Thunderbirds Are Go!: ITV Studios To Reboot Classic Series
The UK's ITV Studios is teaming with New Zealand-based Pukeko Pictures and Weta Workshop to co-produce Thunderbirds Are Go!, an update of the classic kids series that debuted in 1965. Twenty-six half hours have been ordered for air on ITV and CITV in the UK in 2015.

The original Thunderbirds was created by Gerry Anderson, who passed away in December. Although it aired for just two seasons on ITV in the 1960s, it became an international sensation. In syndication, the high-tech tales of adventurers rocketing around the world to fight evil-doers became a staple of Saturday morning and weekday afternoon programming in the US. The series also spawned feature films and inspired South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker's Team America: World Police.

The new series will be produced using a unique mix of CGI animation and live-action model sets while also paying tribute to the legacy of model locations from Anderson's original. Thunderbirds Are Go! will see the return of the five brave Tracy brothers as they pilot their incredible vehicles into impossible rescues across the globe.

Estelle Hughes is exec producing for ITV Studios, Giles Ridge for ITV Studios Global Entertainment and Richard Taylor and Andrew Smith for Pukeko Pictures. Rob Hoegee (Generator Rex, Slugterra) is head writer.

ITV's Denise O Donoghue said today, "Thunderbirds is a highly respected brand that continues to hold recognition around the world. This cult series is often credited as changing the history of animation and action-adventure, and we look forward to taking the show to another level while retaining the much-loved heritage that has endured over the past fifty years."

ITVSGE will handle worldwide rights for the new series.
Buzz Bumble
Jedi Padawan

Re: Thunderbirds Are Go! ... again!

Postby old-fool » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:32 pm

I have to say that I can't see the difference in this reboot and the others you have been so against. Waiting until after GA died is a huge sign that this will be different. It certainly won't be in the same style, have the same vehicles, etc. as children now wouldn't watch it, just as they didn't watch the remake of Captain Scarlet. Yes, it will be Tracy Island, Thuderbirds 1-however many, the family, Brains, maybe Lady P and Parker, (again, would that work? Probably not in the original way) in some form or other, but it'll be more like Thunderbirds 2086 than the original series.
old-fool
Jedi Guardian

Postby Buzz Bumble » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:39 am

If it's the same show that I've read about before and have an old trailer for, then this is not a silly "reboot" - thank God!!

The media stupidly uses the term "reboot" for any and all resurrected old shows, but a "reboot" by definition has lots of idiotic, ill-fitting changes, ignore everything that has been established, and butcher the original beyond almost all recognition, change the style, etc. - all of which means that in reality it's not anything like the original. "Reboots" are in reality very different, brand new version shows which should have their own, different name.

There are a few resurrected shows which are not silly "reboots" (Doctor Who after a hiccup with the Ecclestone season, reportedly Dallas and 90201, and the recentish Knight Rider although that did have some silly changes), but instead do it properly and sensibly - these fit with what has come before, they adhere to the established backstory, the same style, etc.

This resurrected Thunderbirds is almost exactly the same as the old show - the only real difference is that it uses CGI puppets instead of manionette puppets - even some of the model work is being done live-action, just like the original show. The CGI puppets look, move, and act in the same way as the marionettes, except they have more abilities (like walking through doors, jumping, etc.) since their are no strings getting in the way.

And yes, it does have the same characters, the same vehicles, etc. The latest news is that even some of the original actors are supplying the voices again for the new show, including Parker! :)
Buzz Bumble
Jedi Padawan

Postby x-wing_flyboy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:22 pm

Hmm, it shall be different me thinks.

There will be the size 0 bimbo, a racially equal mix of people, most of which will be far to young, and the older father figure will at least be in his late 30's..Oh and Thunderbird 1 will have wireless Ipod access, a loud exhaust, bucket seats and a small pouch of illegal recreational herbal product under the pilot seat, just so as the younger generation can really grasp the concept.

As far as Thunderbirds reboot, why bother. As for me, I really don't want it bought back messed with and and made indistinguishable from what we all know is what was popular in the first place. Instead of rebooting things, why not just make something new, instead of just making something new and adding parts of what made another TV or film series popular in the first place.....

Over to you Steve!
ImageImageImage
x-wing_flyboy
Jedi Master

Postby old-fool » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:01 pm

For some reason, everyone thinks I always have to have my say, and then reply and then respond. Well, yes, I never could keep quiet. Personally, I'm not bothered about TBs coming back, and I think this apathy is what kills many remakes. When ST came back, it had been through popular demand. SW never lost it's core fans, and was welcomed back because everyone thought well of it. Thunderbirds, well, not so much. I watched Star Fleet recently and it has dated much better than TB, but then it was made about twenty years after.

So, like Captain Scarlet a few years ago, there's a chance TB will come to a few series but not make much of an impact. The children it is being made for, (chances are it will be on CITV, not ITV1) may vaguely recognise the name but that's all. If it is the same characters, etc. then it will certainly die a short death. I mean, vertical take off/landing, (Harrier, V-22, etc.) check. Massive transport for massive payload, (Antonov 224, C-117, etc.) check. You can go through all the vehicles and apart from the Mole Machine they have a real life version which wasn't the case in the 60's.

Me, I'd have liked the premise to have been taken and changed, after all, there are very few original ideas, and it is a good one. But to simply rehash it in the same style seems pointless. Thunderbirds was made as it was in the 1960s because, like the original series of Star Trek, that was as good as they could make it at the time. Using the same style when you don't have to looks strange to say the least. And now, for my next trick.....
old-fool
Jedi Guardian

Postby x-wing_flyboy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:10 pm

Interesting Steve..

Over to Buzz

:P
ImageImageImage
x-wing_flyboy
Jedi Master

Postby Buzz Bumble » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:26 am

old-fool wrote:Using the same style when you don't have to looks strange to say the least.

Re-using the original name of a show for what in reality is a completely different product is moronically stupid and senseless (not to mention morally corrupt) ... even more so in this case if, as you said, kids today won't really know what it is anyway.

No doubt there will be some changes (e.g. the character using mobile phones for example), but if this is indeed the same new Thunderbirds show I've been following for the last for years, then everything I've seen and read points to it being one of the very, very few resurrected shows that is actually being done properly ...without lots of idiotic, ill-fitting changes that mean it's no longer really the same product.

If you're going to use the same words for two things that are only very basically similar, then you may well well use only one name for a tunnel and a bridge - they both get people, vehciles, etc. over an obstacle. So now you can have the Channel Bridge between England and France (or if you prefer Tower Tunnel in London) ... why use two words when one will do. :roll:

I mean, vertical take off/landing, (Harrier, V-22, etc.) check. Massive transport for massive payload, (Antonov 224, C-117, etc.) check. You can go through all the vehicles and apart from the Mole Machine they have a real life version which wasn't the case in the 60's.

There wasn't really much in the original Thunderbirds that wasn't realistic, if not actually around at the time (most were only a few years away). One of the few exceptions is the hover bikes they sometimes used.

The Mole Machine basically does exist today - they use such machines when building tunnels.
Buzz Bumble
Jedi Padawan

Postby old-fool » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:44 pm

Oh, I know there are tunneling machines, but not in the sense of Thunderbirds' vehicle. In fact, they were used to build the Chunnel, (the word mooted and used early on for the Channel Tunnel, thankfully dropped when it didn't catch on). Funnily though, while the concepts used in TB were realistic in the sense that they were possible, the reason why most were used at the time was because they were futuristic. My point is that now they aren't.

Using a concept and name and changing it to suit the times is as old as time itself, (to quote a film about Penguins) and you only need to look at the most popular book in the world. The Bible has been rewritten quite a number of times, and while the characters remain the same, the meaning and some of the content has changed. The most successful plays in history are the same, since originally men played the parts of women in Shakespeare's plays, and some of the content has been revised to suit the times, let alone adaptations into films, which have changed the settings, period, infact everything except the meaning behind the plays.

What I've said is valid, and has been done, and will be done, throughout the world. It works, and I don't believe the world would be a better place if there were only one version of everything, or set parameters that had to be adhered to, especially when the end result is something better once changes have been made. But to remake something, in exactly the same way, style, etc. when better can be done is meaningless, and doesn't work. As I said, GA tried it with Captain Scarlet and it was a flop. Nostalgia is a wonderful emotion, but it's for adults.
old-fool
Jedi Guardian

Postby Buzz Bumble » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:54 am

old-fool wrote:Using a concept and name and changing it to suit the times is as old as time itself, (to quote a film about Penguins)

I never said it was new, only that it's the current fad in Hollyweird. One that will hopefully be replaced VERY VERY soon.

The most successful plays in history are the same ... Shakespeare's plays, and some of the content has been revised to suit the times, let alone adaptations into films, which have changed the settings, period, infact everything except the meaning behind the plays.

And many of those sensibly use a different name for their different product ("Gnomeo & Juliet" being a rather off-centre example).

... I don't believe the world would be a better place if there were only one version of everything, or set parameters that had to be adhered to, especially when the end result is something better once changes have been made. But to remake something, in exactly the same way, style, etc. when better can be done is meaningless, and doesn't work. As I said, GA tried it with Captain Scarlet and it was a flop. Nostalgia is a wonderful emotion, but it's for adults.

I never said these people couldn't make their new version ... what I said was they should make their NEW version rather than steal the oringal's very basic core ideas and then butcher everything else beyond recognition, while still stupily re-using the same name. If you want to make a new sci-fi series (very loosely) "based on" Battlestar Galactica or whatever, but one that is in reality very different, then use a new name for the new product ... simple common sense. It would have made absolutely zero difference to the show itself being "good" or "bad" if they had sensibly used a name like "Warship Universica", and it would have saved numerous problems, not the least of which is splitting the franchise into a mess of two conflicting parts (in fact, for Battlestar Galactica it could actually be split into three since Bryan Singer is planning a movie that somehow micraculously fits with both versions!), or in the case of "Superman" or "Batman" there's so many version that nobody knows what the franchise really is.

Names are used for a reason - having different products all hiding behind the same name is ridiculous. Otherwise we may as well be like The Smurfs and just use the same word for everything.

Even more idiotic is Hollywerid's even worse curretn fad of remaking what was already re-made only a couple of years before! The height of lazy, talentless stupidity. :(
Buzz Bumble
Jedi Padawan

Postby X-Wing Fighter Pilot » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:38 pm

They could just use new ideas. The incredibles was perfectly set up for a sequel or cartoon series.
X-Wing Fighter Pilot
Jedi Master

Next

Return to The Cantina