Episode VII gets a director

The NJO's first port of call. The place to come and chill out, no set topics just friendly banter and chat ... randomage is always welcome here :-)

Moderator: Jedi Council Member

Episode VII gets a director

Postby Buzz Bumble » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:41 am

This is from ComingSoon.net ...

BREAKING: J.J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars: Episode VII!
Star Trek Into Darkness helmer J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII for Walt Disney Pictures and Lucasfilm, reports TheWrap. The site says that Ben Affleck was also in contention.

Back in November, Abrams commented on the possibility of him directing and it sounded like it wasn't happening:

"Look, Star Wars is one of my favorite movies of all time. I frankly feel that – I almost feel that, in a weird way, the opportunity for whomever it is to direct that movie, it comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series. I was never a big Star Trek fan growing up, so for me, working on Star Trek didn’t have any of that, you know, almost fatal sacrilege, and so, I am looking forward more then anyone to the next iterations of Star Wars, but I believe I will be going as a paying moviegoer!"

TheWrap adds that Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy has been courting Abrams for the director's chair for a while.

Star Wars: Episode VII is scheduled to hit theaters in 2015. Michael Arndt is writing the script. Disney and Lucasfilm are planning a new trilogy with a new movie coming every other year.

The only response to that is: NNNNnnnnnnooooooo.....!!!!

Looks like the worthless fool will flush another "Star" franchise down the toilet ... the only saving grace might be that Abrams doesn't actually do anything more than rubber-stamp his name on other people's work. :(

Time to get out before the big crash ... For Sale: One Huge Star Wars collection. :(
Buzz Bumble
Jedi Padawan

Re: Episode VII gets a director

Postby x-wing_flyboy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:16 pm

LOL, looks like I will be doing a "Buy one get one free" on the figures.
ImageImageImage
x-wing_flyboy
Jedi Master

Postby Buzz Bumble » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:04 pm

Buy one, get 150 free is quicker. ;)
Buzz Bumble
Jedi Padawan

Postby old-fool » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:39 pm

I have to disagree, but who would expect anything else? There's a huge difference between what JJA did with Star Trek and what he can do with the next SW film. For a start, the ST story was a set point. It was a reboot, since Enterprise has killed the TV series option, and people like the original characters. Naturally the original actors are old or dead, so no chance of using them, plus, the OS of ST was totally sixties. The effects, even the acting and morality was very dated. So, JJA was given a story and I think it's watchable and entertaining. Is it better than STII; TWOK? No, but that's as good as ST ever was.

With SW he is continuing a story, not rebooting it. There'll be no change in style, no back to the future, it'll be a continuation. It is, after all, episode 7 of 9, (7 of 9, mmmm) and while GL won't be in control, my guess is that he'll help shape the story and be eith consulting or executive producer. Unlike ST, SW still has a living creator, and inspite of the mistakes he's made, (lets face it, TPM is a dog of a film, with parts barely watchable, and AOTC and ROTS are both flawed) he still carries some weight.

Before literally throwing toys out of the pram, I'd wait and see. Plus, even if the worst happens and it is worse than TMP, (How?) that doesn't mean stopping liking SW. There are some folk who collect only OT stuff, hate the prequels and will have nothing to do with them. I'm sure, equally, there are folks who just collect prequel stuff, misguided as I may personally think that is. It is now thirty five years since ANH was released and they are still making stuff from it, why would they stop, so why should you?
old-fool
Jedi Guardian

Postby Buzz Bumble » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:51 pm

old-fool wrote:I have to disagree, but who would expect anything else? There's a huge difference between what JJA did with Star Trek and what he can do with the next SW film. For a start, the ST story was a set point. It was a reboot, since Enterprise has killed the TV series option, and people like the original characters. Naturally the original actors are old or dead, so no chance of using them, plus, the OS of ST was totally sixties. The effects, even the acting and morality was very dated. So, JJA was given a story and I think it's watchable and entertaining. Is it better than STII; TWOK? No, but that's as good as ST ever was.

It's "fake Trek", "new Trek", "Abrams' Trek" ... but it aint REAL "Star Trek". Whether the new movie in it's own right was "good" or "bad" isn't relevant, and it would still have been just as "good" / "bad" if they had been sensible and created a new franchise - call it "Universe Hiking" or "Galaxy Walking", etc.

There's absolutely no logic nor common sense for "reboots" reusing the same name. By definition they make lots of changes, they're a different product and should have a different name. Reusing the same name simply creates a mess of the franchise and annoys lots of people (both fans and non-fans of the original).

With SW he is continuing a story, not rebooting it. There'll be no change in style, no back to the future, it'll be a continuation. It is, after all, episode 7 of 9, (7 of 9, mmmm) and while GL won't be in control, my guess is that he'll help shape the story and be eith consulting or executive producer. Unlike ST, SW still has a living creator, and inspite of the mistakes he's made, (lets face it, TPM is a dog of a film, with parts barely watchable, and AOTC and ROTS are both flawed) he still carries some weight.

George Lucas had (reportedly) written the storylines for the new movies before he sold the whole lot to Disney and he is around as a "consultant", BUT he has absolutely no official say in anything that happens. Even with the story handed to them on a plate, there's still plenty of room for people to make a complete mess of it with their own silly changes, styles, etc. which make it ill-fitting with everything that has come before it ... and with an over-egoed buffoon like JJ Abrams, it's a definite possibility.

Abrams originally said he wasn't interested because he was a big fan and basically didn't want to screw it up ... in reality it appears that he was simply greedy and once they offered him "enough" money, he jumped in. Zero moral scruples can now be added to his list of faults.
Buzz Bumble
Jedi Padawan

Postby old-fool » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:26 am

Like I said, I'll wait and see, and if it is worse than TPM, then you can say I told you so.
old-fool
Jedi Guardian

Postby x-wing_flyboy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:05 pm

Hey guys, no fighting!LOL

Great to see a new member getting stuck in though, we need more of your like Buzz!
ImageImageImage
x-wing_flyboy
Jedi Master

Postby Buzz Bumble » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:53 pm

Sorry if it's a bit of a rant, but I REALLY detest the current lazy fad in Hollyweird for stupidly and senselessly rebooting / remaking / resurrecting old past shows / movies (even board games like Battleship!), and then butchering them beyond any sensible recognition (in either story or style) into something very different and yet still re-using the original's name.
Buzz Bumble
Jedi Padawan

Postby Buzz Bumble » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:42 am

It's now been made official with an announcement by LucasFilm / StarWars.com

A couple of good quotes from around the Internet ...

• "I have a bad feeling about this."
  • "I felt a great disturbance in the Force... as if millions
    of fans suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly
    kicked in the teeth. I fear something terrible has happened."
  • "Sir, the possibility of successfully handing over control of
    an entertainment franchise is approximately three thousand,
    seven hundred and twenty to one!"

Positive proof that JJ Abrams is just some nerd off a silly US "comedy" TV series ...

Image Image

JJ Abrams = Leonard from The Big Bang Theory ;)

All the great directors have beards: George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, James Cameron, Irvin Kershner, Gary Kurtz, Stanley Kubrick, Ron Howard, etc. JJ Abrams doesn't have a beard (geez, he's not even old enough to need to shave yet!) - just further proof that Abrams is definitely not a "great director". ;)
Buzz Bumble
Jedi Padawan

Postby X-Wing Fighter Pilot » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:59 am

Hitchcock, Scorsese, Eastwood. No beards .
X-Wing Fighter Pilot
Jedi Master

Next

Return to The Cantina