New Hasbro 12" figures appearing

The NJO's first port of call. The place to come and chill out, no set topics just friendly banter and chat ... randomage is always welcome here :-)

Moderator: Jedi Council Member

New Hasbro 12" figures appearing

Postby Buzz Bumble » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:22 am

... and boy are they ugly!! :(

Apparently the new Hasbro 12" figures have been appearing in Canadian shops and on American webstores. The webstores are charging around US$13 each (or US$25 for the pair) ... they're not worth that much.

ForbiddenPlanet.com has a larger view of the Anakin figure here for those who really want to blind themselves.
Buzz Bumble
Jedi Padawan

Re: New Hasbro 12" figures appearing

Postby x-wing_flyboy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:55 pm

Looks like these are solely for the Children's market but the trooper still don't look too bad.
ImageImageImage
x-wing_flyboy
Jedi Master

Postby Buzz Bumble » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:54 am

Someone on the Star Wars New Zealand forum has posted that the new Hasbro 12" Clonetrooper and Anakin Skywalker figures have shown up in their local branch of The Warehouse chain of stores. They're priced at NZ$22.99 (UK£12.20), which isn't too bad considering the 3 3/4" figures are NZ$18 (and can be up to $22 in some other toy stores) ... at least until you actually look at the ugly 12" figures themselves. ;)

Also new on the shelves down here at The Warehouse are the 3 3/4" scale "Yoda green card vehicle range", priced at NZ$39.99 (UK£21.23) each - MTT Droid Fighter, 501st Legion AT-RT, and Yoda's Jedi Attack Fighter.

They didn't mention the quantities available, but that particular branch is one of the smaller ones anyway. I visited a couple of my local branches yesterday and there was no sign of either of these ranges there yet. (What I did see was boxes and boxes of the Star Wars Fighter Pod Series 1 packs still sitting on the storage shelves above the pegs - so there's still tons of those that haven't even been put out yet. :()
Buzz Bumble
Jedi Padawan

Postby Buzz Bumble » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:47 am

I saw these figures in the shop today ... Anakin looks even worse "in person". Definitely not something I'd be wasting money on, even if I had room to store anything else. :(
Buzz Bumble
Jedi Padawan

Postby x-wing_flyboy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:02 am

What was the Trooper like? I'm still pondering for the Clone Trooper collection, just to say I have one?

These are purely kids stuff though are they not? Harking back to the days of the Vintage stuff.
ImageImageImage
x-wing_flyboy
Jedi Master

Postby Buzz Bumble » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:37 am

After seeing Anakin's horrible pale yellow skin colouring I didn't even bother picking up the Clone Trooper and looked at the new vehicles instead (Yoda's starfighter also looks a bit tacky and plasticky).
Buzz Bumble
Jedi Padawan

Postby x-wing_flyboy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:27 pm

I actually find this lot quite sad. After the low quality of the POTF2 era, there was a progressive evolution of quality thank the lord.

But this new stuff?

It's totally reversed that welcome evolution that I have followed since 1998ish when the figures started to achieve a more realistic, if not a major level of articulation, but they were starting to improve non the less. These new 12" figures, especially the Obi-Wan is plane terrible. But then again, they are not made for us adult collectors, so fair does.

I just hope that the majority of the merchandise does not follow this cheap. bootleg plastic look.
ImageImageImage
x-wing_flyboy
Jedi Master

Postby old-fool » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:24 pm

I think it's about shifting stuff related to the prequels before they are overtaken. Lets face it, when the new films come along, the kids who played with the prequel stuff will have moved on, and any new toys will be aimed at the more OT era Eps 7-9, and of course you get an overlay for the OT items too. These toys will have cost next to nothing to develop and make, and are basically a bridge to the next era, from a company that knows it can't compete on the 12" scene with Sideshow, etc. I can see them being shipped directly to land-fill sites within six months.
old-fool
Jedi Guardian

Return to The Cantina