[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The New Jedi Order • View topic - Books & Comics >>> Your Favorites and Least Favorites

Books & Comics >>> Your Favorites and Least Favorites

The NJO's first port of call. The place to come and chill out, no set topics just friendly banter and chat ... randomage is always welcome here :-)

Moderator: Jedi Council Member

Books & Comics >>> Your Favorites and Least Favorites

Postby Darth Aelene » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:16 am

This is a thread to discuss books that you have enjoyed reading and those that can be left on the shelf. Discuss all your favorites, not just Star Wars books.
Darth Aelene
Jedi Master

Re: Books, Your Favorites and Least Favorites

Postby Darth Aelene » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:19 am

Some of my personal favorites have been LOTR (naturally), Wicked and all of Brian Lumley's works. As for Star Wars, the usual suspects, Shadows of the Empire, the Thrawn books, X Wing series and now all of the Republic Commando books.
And before anyone says anything, yes I spelled favorites the American way :D
Darth Aelene
Jedi Master

Postby Darth Evo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:13 am

Last edited by Darth Evo on Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Evo
Jedi Master

Postby jedi58 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:41 am

Evo if you enjoy that series by Diana Wynne Jones, I recommend trying her Moving Castle series - Studio Ghibli filmed the first one (Howl's Moving Castle, see http://www.newearthonline.co.uk/article/628 for a review) and the outcome was really good.
jedi58
Jedi Master

Postby SEC-26 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:19 am

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow is the last book I read. It also happens to be the best thing I have read for about 10 years and the only book ever to make me contact the author and thell them how much I enjoyed it.

Ironically, considering the origin of this forum, I thought Outbound Flight was the dullest Star Wars book I've come across so far. lol

Also, stay well away from the Amtrak Wars saga. I think Grey_Paladin_Dez will back me up on how massive a waste of time that whole thing was.
SEC-26
Jedi Knight

Postby SOLO TROOPER » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:34 pm

Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit have to be the longest and slowest read of my life

good films but the books seemed to drag.

still when you have 6 months in Bosnia plenty of time to read em..... :lol:

SOLO TROOPER
Jedi Master

Postby Darth Evo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:44 pm

Darth Evo
Jedi Master

Postby Darth Aelene » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:28 pm

I just finished Order 66, excellent! I just can't get enough of the Republic Commando books!
Darth Aelene
Jedi Master

Postby OJM » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:28 pm

Ok.... In my honest opinion i've read some awesome books..

"Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason. A truly brilliant autobiography of a Chopper pilot in Vietnam. Read it and weep!

"Hunt for Red October" by Tom Clancy. WAY better than the movie!

"Sniper one" by Dan Mills. First hand account of a SNIPER unit in Affghanistan holding Terry Taliban at bay! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sniper-One-Blis ... 0718149947

"APACHE" by Ed Mason. The Army Air Corps first contacts and heroic rescues in Affghanistan of British forces!
(I thouroughly recommend this book! Read this one and truly Know what OUR boys are really doing in the name of our Country!)

"MEG" by Steve Alten. By FAR the Best shark stories you will ever read....and he has written sequels that are even better!
Chech out..http://www.stevealten.com/
OJM
Jedi Master

Postby jedi58 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:14 pm

anyone who likes science fiction books I recommend reading Larry Niven's novels... probably best to start with Ringworld.
jedi58
Jedi Master

Next

Return to The Cantina