Books & Comics >>> Your Favorites and Least Favorites

The NJO's first port of call. The place to come and chill out, no set topics just friendly banter and chat ... randomage is always welcome here :-)

Moderator: Jedi Council Member

Books & Comics >>> Your Favorites and Least Favorites

Postby Darth Aelene » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:16 am

This is a thread to discuss books that you have enjoyed reading and those that can be left on the shelf. Discuss all your favorites, not just Star Wars books.
"I take orders from just one person: Me!"
Darth Aelene
Jedi Master

Re: Books, Your Favorites and Least Favorites

Postby Darth Aelene » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:19 am

Some of my personal favorites have been LOTR (naturally), Wicked and all of Brian Lumley's works. As for Star Wars, the usual suspects, Shadows of the Empire, the Thrawn books, X Wing series and now all of the Republic Commando books.
And before anyone says anything, yes I spelled favorites the American way :D
Darth Aelene
Jedi Master

Postby Darth Evo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:13 am

Darth Aelene wrote:And before anyone says anything, yes I spelled favorites the American way :D

Well, you should really do it the CORRECT way. ;) ;) :lol: :lol:

I agree the LOTR books are simply brilliant and I have yet to find better. Harry Potter naturally, Terry Pratchett from his Discworld novels to the newer titles like Wee Free Men are absolutely brilliant as well.

Anybody that has enjoyed Harry Potter should try the Chrestomanci books by Diana Wynne Jones, Miss Rowling borrowed an AWFUL LOT of ideas from her book series. They are a bit old now but stand the test of time well.

Anything by Neil Gaiman is superb too and I really enjoy many kids books - such as the "Spooks" series by Joe Delaney. Similar to what I've been trying to write and for the same age bracket + I enjoy stuff about ghosts and goblins, seventh sons of seventh sons and all that. The books are set around the North of England - around Lancaster and Pendle where some of the most famous witch trials took place and it is a spooky area. Bit young for a lot of readers on here though to be fair, but his books do get better and better. (Known as the The Last Apprentice in the US I believe)

I also enjoy the Cadfael series of books as I have a soft spot for religious history too - and these books give a lot of information whilst providing a good who-dunnit at the same time. :)
Like the Dan Brown books for similar reasons. :) (Even if everyone now seems to slag Da Vinci code off - I thought it was great!!!!!)

Stephen King, James Herbet and Clive Barker for horror though I haven't read much of this for a few years. I'd like to try Stephen kings Darktower series but will I ever get the time????? :? :? :?

Some random books I've read and enjoyed....

Wicked
The Book Thief
The Time Travellers Wife
Some Star Wars books nobody on here would be interested in. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Darth Evo on Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Evo
Jedi Master

Postby jedi58 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:41 am

Evo if you enjoy that series by Diana Wynne Jones, I recommend trying her Moving Castle series - Studio Ghibli filmed the first one (Howl's Moving Castle, see http://www.newearthonline.co.uk/article/628 for a review) and the outcome was really good.
jedi58
Jedi Master

Postby SEC-26 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:19 am

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow is the last book I read. It also happens to be the best thing I have read for about 10 years and the only book ever to make me contact the author and thell them how much I enjoyed it.

Ironically, considering the origin of this forum, I thought Outbound Flight was the dullest Star Wars book I've come across so far. lol

Also, stay well away from the Amtrak Wars saga. I think Grey_Paladin_Dez will back me up on how massive a waste of time that whole thing was.
SEC-26
Jedi Knight

Postby SOLO TROOPER » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:34 pm

Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit have to be the longest and slowest read of my life

good films but the books seemed to drag.

still when you have 6 months in Bosnia plenty of time to read em..... :lol:
SOLO TROOPER
Jedi Master

Postby Darth Evo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:44 pm

jedi58 wrote:Evo if you enjoy that series by Diana Wynne Jones, I recommend trying her Moving Castle series - Studio Ghibli filmed the first one (Howl's Moving Castle, see http://www.newearthonline.co.uk/article/628 for a review) and the outcome was really good.

We've got it dude and really love it. :) :) :)
Darth Evo
Jedi Master

Postby Darth Aelene » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:28 pm

I just finished Order 66, excellent! I just can't get enough of the Republic Commando books!
Darth Aelene
Jedi Master

Postby OJM » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:28 pm

Ok.... In my honest opinion i've read some awesome books..

"Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason. A truly brilliant autobiography of a Chopper pilot in Vietnam. Read it and weep!

"Hunt for Red October" by Tom Clancy. WAY better than the movie!

"Sniper one" by Dan Mills. First hand account of a SNIPER unit in Affghanistan holding Terry Taliban at bay! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sniper-One-Blis ... 0718149947

"APACHE" by Ed Mason. The Army Air Corps first contacts and heroic rescues in Affghanistan of British forces!
(I thouroughly recommend this book! Read this one and truly Know what OUR boys are really doing in the name of our Country!)

"MEG" by Steve Alten. By FAR the Best shark stories you will ever read....and he has written sequels that are even better!
Chech out..http://www.stevealten.com/
OJM
Jedi Master

Postby jedi58 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:14 pm

anyone who likes science fiction books I recommend reading Larry Niven's novels... probably best to start with Ringworld.
jedi58
Jedi Master

Next

Return to The Cantina