Cinema, DVD & TV > Reviews & Recommendations !!!

The NJO's first port of call. The place to come and chill out, no set topics just friendly banter and chat ... randomage is always welcome here :-)

Moderator: Jedi Council Member

Cinema, DVD & TV > Reviews & Recommendations !!!

Postby SOLO TROOPER » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:22 pm

OK we have a discussion board for all the PC and console games

So how about films

What DVD's Cinema or stuff on TV is good

What have you see that someone on here might have missed

Do a review of the latest film at the cinema or be nostalgic and remind people of some classics that are worth a watch.
SOLO TROOPER
Jedi Master

Re: FILMS..DVD and Cinema & TV....

Postby SOLO TROOPER » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:29 pm

Some of my latest watches
Star rating out of 5

WANTED:

Angelina Jolie... a little far fetched at times but great action scenes and a fun packed ride definately worth a look 4*

HULK 2

edgier grittier and darker and that was just the quality of the film...no seriously for hulk fans it was a must see 4*

Batman The Dark Night

A bit long but otherwise excellent Heath Ledger played a Fantastic joker 5* plus

The Forbidden Kingdom
Jackie Chan and Jet LI

a bit of a flying daggers meets the water margin
some tongur in cheek but good martial arts scene and reasonabl plot 3 1/2*

Journey to the centre of the Earth (new release)

Not bad if you like brendan Fraser then a must see.... wish I'd got some 3D glasses 3*

HANCOCK

Cracking film,,, bit of a Will SMITH fan... good combination of action and comedy 5*

these are just my opinions why not watch em your self or anyone else who has seen them add your comments... what else is worth a look :?: :?: :?:
SOLO TROOPER
Jedi Master

Postby Darth Evo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:36 pm

My fave TV shows have to be Heroes and My Name is Earl - totally class. :)

I like Friends as a classic and Scrubs is always worth a watch too.

Haven't seen Hancock yet but did get it for Xmas - just had no time. Looking forward to seeing it. :)

The Dark Knight is already one of my favourite films of all time. Fettin excellent, I just love it. :) :) :) :) :)

Also an old classic DVD for me is The Matrix, it just oozes cool.... shame about the sequels though. Pants, pants and double pants. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, and I love a bit of slasher horror and general horror. Just watched Hostel I and II again recently and do enjoy the sillyness. Haven't seen the latest Saw yet though..... is it any good????
Darth Evo
Jedi Master

Postby Si Deamad » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:12 am

Favourite Tv shows at the moment have to be Heroes, 24 and The Wire.

Seen many films over the Xmas Period, no real classics but some where ok.

Babylon AD - Vin Diesel
Max Paine - Mark Walhberg
Lakeview Terrace - Samuel L Jackson
Mirrors - Kiefer Sutherland
The Strangers
Many Bothans died to bring us this information.
http://www.tatooinetradingpost.co.uk
Si Deamad

Postby Sith Master Maul » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:15 am

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (2008)
good film with keanu reeves stays quite close to the original but with a massive upgrade to the special effects 4*

BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)
good old tongue incheek humor with a bit of a feel good factor just for good measure

STAR WARS (1977)
seen this one a few times and it did something unusual to me in that it is the only film i ever seen that has had a life long impact on me i would recomend that everyone on the planet sees it at least once 5* (and then some )
[color=#4040FF]"FINALLY WE WILL HAVE OUR REVENGE [/color]
Sith Master Maul
Jedi Guardian

Postby jedi58 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:18 pm

Reviewed: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

What would you do if you could "leap" backward through time? When tomboyish 17 year old Makoto Konno gains this ability after an accident in her high school chemistry lab, she immediately sets about improving her grades and preventing personal mishaps. Before long, however, she realises that even innocuous changes can have terrible consequences. Changing the past is not as simple as it seems, and eventually Makoto will have to rely on her new powers to shape the future for herself and her friends.

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect with this film; with a title like "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" it inspires intrigue into what it might be about and how she might be able to leap through time. The first thing that springs to mind is Quantum Leap's Sam Beckett who could leap through time into other people's bodies so he could right past wrongs through the result of an experiment gone wrong (although it was later suggested that he was leaping because he wanted to be able to). In the case of Makoto she gets her ability to leap through time through a object that looks like it's a walnut and at first she uses her newly found powers to "fix" her own life.

The story was first published as a novel in 1976 and has since inspired a number of movies for cinema and TV release, and a recent manga series so it's a story the eastern audience should know quite well. This new animated version was released in Japan in 2006, but now (in 2008) it has only just reached British shores.

The film starts with Makoto experiencing a bad day - she's late for school, she does badly on an exam, gets crushed under a few people when they trip over, and then falls over in the science lab; but that is where her life changes. On the way home from school Makoto dies, at least she should have done, when she is thrown from her bike in front of a train she "time-leaps" back a few minutes which stops her from dying that day. At this time she's unsure of what has happened - as anybody would likely to be if such a thing happened to them. As she finds out about her newfound abilities and starts to practice she goes back to the start of the day and fixes everything that went wrong - but at the cost of other people. When her good friend, This isn't something she realises until a student is bullied and starts to snap back. Then when Chiaki, her best friend, asks her out she keeps leaping backwards through time to just before he asked her in hope that he wouldn't - she wanted their friendship to stay the same. After a while she finds more she wants to fix that went wrong with other people's lives after she started her leaping, though eventually she notices that there is a number which counts down each time she leaps - meaning she doesn't have many more leaps left. By the end of the film she has a new understanding of life, and she becomes a better person for her experiences - which is a pretty typical message for an anime film (with such messages being mirrored in great films such as Sprited Away).

The style of the animation is more or less as you would expect it to be, but the attention to details in some scenes is really good. One such example is in the science lab when you see the chalk board, the chalk actually makes the same textures on the board as a real one would. The soundtrack isn't anything special, but I think despite this it is still worth watching just for the story, and the humour.

Rating 3.5 / 5

(see http://www.newearthonline.co.uk/index.p ... ory=010102 for more ;))
jedi58
Jedi Master

Re: Cinema, DVD & TV ....

Postby Grand Master Gray » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:57 pm

Aidy said that despite being a SW fan he wasn't that much of a Sci Fi fan ... I sort of fit that profile too !!! Star Wars has it's roots firmly in mythology and is a classic but very grounded tale that just happens to be set in a Galaxy far, far away !!!

Never been into Star Trek or other Sci Fi series and as for most major Sci Fi blockbusters I tend to avoid them ... I do however like Bladerunner, Alien, ET and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

In terms of DVDs I own (so therefore must like) there is a certain film franchise with "six episodes" that I quite enjoy watching ;) Other favourites include V for Vendetta, The Truman Show, Batman Begins/The Dark Knight, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, The Golden Compass, Pulp Fiction, Thelma and Louise, True Romance, Unbreakable, Reservoir Dogs, AI, Rocky, The Ring, The Green Mile, Trainspotting, Human Traffic, Monsters Inc and The Lion King !!!

As for TV I was an X-Files fan till it just got ridiculous ... I loved Invasion too (but they never made a second series and left it on a cliff hanger for fett's sake) . Tend to try and avoid series these days as i end up missing episodes !!!

But I am massive Lost fan (don't have Sky or anything but have all the box-sets released so far ... just love the concept, the stories, the characters and the way it does make you think !

There are probably loads more to add as this thread progresses ... and some obscure stuff too that is worth recommending to others !!!

(great thread Mark ;) !!!)
Grand Master Gray
Jedi Master

Postby Darth Evo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:43 pm

Glad its not just me Gray. :)

I loved Xfiles as well in the beguinning, it fettin rocked and I so wanted some of it to be true. Loved the "Liver man" episode. :)

Another film trilogy - about to be expanded upon - that I adore is Pirates of the Carribean, just think they have everything just right. Pace, action, script, cinematography, acting performances, music, effects its all there.

Lord of the Rings trilogy as well, can't wait for The Blobbit. :mrgreen:

Oh, and another CLASSIC is Fight Club. Never have I left a film so fired up. :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Except maybe at the end of Seven..... I embarrassed Jo as I was shouting "Shoot him", very cool ending.... and you would.
Darth Evo
Jedi Master

Postby SOLO TROOPER » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:22 pm

Loved X-files

was in the army when the last couple of series came onthe TV so when I bought the boxed set was really looking forward to watching 7, 8 and 9.. just not as good without Mulder and scully... still a classic.

Remember V.................was on ITV about the alien Lizards that wore human skins....that rocked when I was a kid

My dad got me into Star trek... ;)

Love stargate...Stargate Atlantis....Friends......ANGEL...BUFFY....BONES.... HOUSE......BATTLESTAR GALACTICA......Scrubs.....PRISON BREAK
SOLO TROOPER
Jedi Master

Postby Darth Aelene » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:56 am

Yes, Bones is just about the only show I actually take time out to watch these days!
"I take orders from just one person: Me!"
Darth Aelene
Jedi Master

Next

Return to The Cantina