Star Wars: TOR Guild - General Discussion

The place to discuss Star Wars gaming. Be sure to check here for discussions for the official NJO The Old Republic guild.

Moderator: Jedi Council Member

Star Wars: TOR Guild - General Discussion

Postby jedi58 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:12 am

Anyone from the NJO who likes MMORPG's can join the NJO's guild!

http://www.swtor.com/guilds/114393/njo

(I'll fill out this post with more details such proposed in-game quests, etc. when the game's released)

UPDATED: You must now join the Guild via the game due to changes in Bioware's Guild process
jedi58
Jedi Master

Re: Star Wars: TOR Guild

Postby OJM » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:32 pm

I signed up to play "Battlestar Galactica"...and my laptop would not play it...I'm sure with a heavy heart that this wont play either... :(
OJM
Jedi Master

Postby x-wing_flyboy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:57 am

Laptop certainly won't play it, and doubt the PC upstairs is up to date enough to get it running, it does run Republic Commando but I would say that is it's limit.
ImageImageImage
x-wing_flyboy
Jedi Master

Postby Darth Evo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:57 pm

Still looking at Guilds and very tempted to join Blinky's to be honest.

Must admit I'm more into playing with myself. :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol:

(When I game tested I didn't come across anything I couldn't do myself BUT there will be a lot on the Servers you'll have to complete as part of a group so its catch 22.)
Darth Evo
Jedi Master

Postby Darth Evo » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:55 pm

OH MY GOD WE HAVE A RELEASE DATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22 / 12 / 11

Be there, or, erm, elsewhere!!!!!!

OLD REPUBLIC HERE WE COME!!!!!!!

Sorry I'm QUITE excited. :lol: :lol:
Darth Evo
Jedi Master

Postby RebelGem » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:10 pm

Could somebody please explain the pro's/con's of joining a guild? I would love to be a part of an NJO guild but not if it limits the kind of stuff you can get up to. I know it's boring but I dont like doing evil things even in virtual reality, also would we all have to play at the same time to advance or can you explore independantly then meet up when everyones free to play? Got loads of RPG experience but zip of the MMO RPG sort! :D
RebelGem
Jedi Master

Postby l3linky » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:30 pm

I remember my first days of MMO's - very daunting indeed. My advice to you is to play the game first, get used to its mechanics and see what it is about the game that you enjoy. Is it questing / leveling up, crafting, Role play, exploration, End-of-Game contenting (raiding)...this will ultimately dictate the type of guild to join. I've been a member of a few Kinships (Guilds in Lord of the Rings Online) and each time the experience has been different. Some are friendly and mature - just generally hang out, helping each other out. Others are solely interested in being the first to do things and are very "End-of-Game" orientated. By that I mean they arrange times to meet to attempt 24 player group quests that can last up to 2-3 hours.

RebelGem wrote:Could somebody please explain the pro's/con's of joining a guild? I would love to be a part of an NJO guild but not if it limits the kind of stuff you can get up to.

It won't limit your play experience at all, if anything it'll enhance it. They give me a sense of "community". I'd deffo call myself a solo player but sometimes help is required and it's easier to find help if you're in a guild. I've also found that PuGs (Pick Up Groups - random players grouping together) don't really work as it's difficult to get strangers to follow instructions...it can lead to arguments and ultimately the downfall of the quest and that's no fun for anyone!!

RebelGem wrote:I know it's boring but I dont like doing evil things even in virtual reality, also would we all have to play at the same time to advance or can you explore independantly then meet up when everyones free to play? Got loads of RPG experience but zip of the MMO RPG sort! :D

You can continue to play by yourself, leveling your character and just generally exploring. Being in a guild will give you a guild chat channel so you can remain in contact with other members that are online at the same time as you. There will normally be a website to accompany a guild - this is where membership, events and general tom-foolery takes place when off-line.

It's purely down to player preference Gem, I've deffo found being in a guild a positive thing - but I guess I got lucky with my LotRo kinship as it's full of like minded individuals.
l3linky
Jedi Knight

Postby jedi58 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:14 pm

RebelGem wrote:I know it's boring but I dont like doing evil things even in virtual reality, also would we all have to play at the same time to advance or can you explore independantly then meet up when everyones free to play? Got loads of RPG experience but zip of the MMO RPG sort!

Same here, I've played Baldur's Gate, NWN, DragonAge, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, etc. but the only attempt at an MMORPG was a brief period playing WoW. Found I only ever played it by myself to complete the odd quest here and there, but didn't want to get too involved with it either as I knew SW:TOR was on it's way ;)

On a side (yet related) note, does anyone watch The Guild webisodes? http://www.youtube.com/show?p=eYROA5iyq ... er=show_av
jedi58
Jedi Master

Postby RebelGem » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:32 am

Thanks Blinky, for the sound and easy to follow advice!

I would hate to be part of the "end-of game" obsessed, I'm much more of a check every house/shop/barrell/puddle kind of lass. It sounds very wise to build up experience and familiarity with the game first as it's no fun for anyone being a newb holding back the more experienced. It would be great if Dave's NJO guild is of the hangout/kinship variety so we could all meet up and help one another! Sounds like you have allot of fun with the LOTR game, they where such epic movies!! Cant wait for The Hobbit movie to be released :D :D :D

Wow Dave! I thought you would be Grand-Mastering around the WOW universe, seems like you've got awesome taste in games :D :D :D
Just about to check out the webisodes, thanks for the link!
RebelGem
Jedi Master

Postby Darth Evo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:45 am

:shock:

Blimey that is cracking advice Ben well in. Learnt a bit myself there. :D

I can't believe I got to game test with my total lack of MMO experience but I was honest about that when I signed up - and they still picked me. :twisted:

A cracking question though Gem as obviously we will quest together sometimes but obviously we will act independently as well.

BUT!!
I know the game has "story driven FLASH POINTS" that will require you to complete the task with 4 players and as Blinky says it would be easier to do with friends than with random people.

Would be cool if we had a few members for our own guild thats for sure.

jedi58 wrote:Same here, I've played Baldur's Gate, NWN, DragonAge, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, etc. but the only attempt at an MMORPG was a brief period playing WoW. Found I only ever played it by myself to complete the odd quest here and there, but didn't want to get too involved with it either as I knew SW:TOR was on it's way ;)

On a side (yet related) note, does anyone watch The Guild webisodes? http://www.youtube.com/show?p=eYROA5iyq ... er=show_av

As Gem said - great choice in Games Dave - can't decide whether I should buy Skyrim or just save money for the ToR release as I'll only get to play it for a month and time is limited tbh.

Gem and I both have WoW and they are both still boxed. . . . . .

Will check out the webisodes too. :D
Darth Evo
Jedi Master

Next

Return to The NJO Arena